Careers and Recruiting
Come Join Our Team!!
The application period is currently closed. Please use the link below to complete a job interest card and you will be notified our next application period. To complete the job interest card, select law enforcement and then click subscribe. If you have any questions please contact one of our recruiters!
An applicant must be at least 21 years of age and less than 45 years of age at the time they are sworn in by the Chief.
An applicant must have one of the following qualifications:
- Possess a current, permanent Texas peace officer's license; OR
- Possess an inactive, permanent Texas peace officer's license with less than a two year break in service; OR
- Have a high school diploma / GED and have successfully completed a minimum of 45 hours at an accredited college or university (College hours must be earned from colleges and universities accredited under the Regional Institutional Accrediting Organizations. These accrediting organizations are: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities; North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; New England Association of Schools and Colleges; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; Western Association of Schools and Colleges. An international college or university evaluated and accepted by a United States college or university accredited by the above organizations is accepted. College hours earned at institutions other than those listed above do not qualify and will not be accepted for TCOLE credit); OR
- Have a high school diploma / GED and 24 months active military service with an honorable discharge - CANNOT have a re-enlistment code of RE-4. (DD214 MUST be submitted online with employment application).
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record.
- Must meet all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for licensing by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCOLE).
- The applicant must be a United States citizen.
- Must be able to read and write English.
Pre-Employment Agility Test
Event # 1: Push-Ups
(complete 25 traditional push-ups, 60 seconds or less)
- Push-Ups will be performed starting with knees off the ground, arms slightly wider than shoulders, arms straight and elbows locked out
- Participant will lower the body until the chest reaches counting device activating counter, then push the body back up locking out the elbows
Event # 2: Sit-Ups
(complete 25 traditional sit-ups, 60 seconds or less)
- Sit -Ups will be performed starting by lying on the back with knees raised and bent, feet held with stationary bar, fingers behind ears, elbows out
- Participant will raise torso until forehead reaches horizontal plain of knees, then return to floor lying on back
Event # 3: The Row
(complete a standardized rowing test reaching the pre-determined distance in 4 minutes or less)
- Participant will successfully complete a standardized rowing test reaching the pre-determined distance listed on the Baytown Physical Agility Test Row Chart in 4 minutes or less with a damper setting of 5
- Row will be conducted on Concept 2 Model D rowers
Physical Agility Test-The Row
Texas Commission On Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Endorsement for Out of State Officers
If you are a certified law enforcement officer from another state, you must confirm with the Texas Commission On Law Enforcement (TCOLE) that you are eligible to take the TCOLE approved Supplemental Peace Officer course BEFORE you apply for our Certified Patrol Officer position. You are required to attach your endorsement letter from TCOLE to your application in order to continue in this applicant process.
Steps to obtain the TCOLE endorsement letter:
1. Fill out the "Out of State Federal Initial Application" eligibility form and attach all required documents and send to TCOLE. The required documents that will be needed are:
- A copy of the basic training certificate for a police officer with hours listed. If hours are not listed on the certificate, documentation of hours completed must accompany the certificate (Reserve, part time, or auxiliary training is not accepted);
- A copy of a Federal Agent's License or Credentials; or a certified or notarized copy of the police officer license or certificate issued by the state POST;
- A statement from the state POST or federal employing agency revealing any disciplinary action(s) that may have been taken against any license or certificate issued by that agency or any pending action; or that no disciplinary action has been taken at any time on your license or certification;
- A statement from your employing agency(s) stating full time service as a peace officer, federal officer or agent. Exact service dates are required. (Reserve or auxiliary peace officer training is not accepted; probationary officer time prior to completion of an approved basic police officer training academy is not accepted);
- A copy of your valid state-issued driver's license; and
- A copy of all your military discharge(s) (DD-214) (if applicable).
2. Please review the additional information regarding your application to TCOLE:
- Applicants must provide proof of successful completion of a state POST approved (or state licensing authority) basic police officer training academy with equivalent course topics and hours of training at the time of initial certification or licensure.
- Applicants will also have honorably served (employed, benefits eligible) as a sworn full-time paid peace officer for 2 continuous years within the 4 years prior to application. Service time applied to this section must have been obtained following completion of a state POST approved basic training course and be subject to continued employment or eligible for re-hire (excluding retirement);
- The applicant's license or certificate must never have been, nor currently be in the process of being, surrendered, suspended, or revoked; and
- Have a copy of all their military discharge(s) (DD-214) (if applicable). Individual has never received a dishonorable or other discharge based on misconduct barring future military service, Commission Rule 217.1(0)(13).
3. You'll be assigned a representative who will review your packet. The approval process with TCOLE can take between 4-8 weeks for approval.
4. Once approved, you will receive a letter notifying you of your status.
5. Once you receive the endorsement letter from TCOLE, you will be eligible to apply for the BPD Certified Patrol Officer position the next time it is posted.