Call (281) 420 - 5390
Fax (281) 420 - 5380
Housing Rehabilitation Program
Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program
The goal of the Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program is to assist low to moderate-income homeowners with the rehabilitation and conservation of the community’s older housing stock. The City of Baytown will grant eligible homeowners with repairs and improvements necessary to make the property conform to public standards for decent, safe and sanitary housing as required by applicable codes. The program provides a maximum of: $64,600 for reconstruction, $25,000 for rehabilitation, and $5,000 for handicap/disabled modifications. These funds are available through the Community Development Block Grant Program in the form of a five (5) year forgivable loan secured by a lien agreement.
All program applicants must provide the appropriate documents to verify the following:
- Applicant owns the home;
- Applicant owns the property and it has been the applicant's primary residence for three years prior to seeking assistance;
- Applicant is current on mortgage payments;
- Applicant’s home must be a detached single-family home within the city limits of Baytown; excluding mobile homes, manufactured homes and accessory structures;
- Applicant is current on all taxes and utilities;
- Applicant must provide employment and income verification for all adult members of the applicant’s household;
- Applicant’s home has not previously received assistance through the Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program (Unless applying for Handicap/Disabled Modifications);
- Applicant household’s annual gross income must not exceed the below-stated maximum income limits:
No. in Household
Annual Maximum Gross Income
Contact the City of Baytown Community Development Office at 281-420-5398 for application and general information about the Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program. Completed applications must be accompanied by verification documents regarding: Household income; proof of homeownership; employment; household members; savings and checking account statements; current utility bill and other forms to support application information. Assistance is available on a first-come, first-serve basis to eligible homeowners as funds permit. Due to the nature of this program, there is currently a substantial waiting list. If you believe that any household member is in imminent danger, please seek other avenues to resolve the immediate threat.
|Related Forms and Documents|
|General Information||PDF (16k)|
|Process Guide||PDF (15k)|
|Application for Housing Rehabilitation||PDF (35k)|
|Guidelines for Homeowners||PDF (106k)|
If you are interested in becoming a general contractor under this program, please submit the Contractor's Application. For additional information, contact 281-420-5398.