The Department of Human Resources is a full service department supporting a comprehensive range of personnel needs, many of which are driven by evolving State and Federal legislation. The Department performs various Human Resource functions by taking the following actions:
- developing and interpreting policy
- acting as internal consultants to all departments on personnel related issues
- maintaining employment practices consistent with applicable legislation
- resolving employee concerns, grievances, and appeals
- administering and resolving workers’ compensation and unemployment issues and claims
- providing training and development
- maintaining equitable and competitive compensation practices
- managing the City’s insurance programs
The Department also administers the Civil Service Rules and the Collective Bargaining process for the Fire Department.
The City of Baytown/Human Resources Department is dedicated to fulfilling our obligations to our employees, the City and to ourselves by providing quality support and service.
- To ensure that the assistance and advice we provide is timely, accurate and complete.
- To interrelated departmental professionalism and expertise by working in a cooperative spirit to better the quality of service provided by the City of Baytown.
- To recognize the value of City employees and acknowledge the dedicated service of retirees through a continued responsiveness to employee needs and searching for solutions to areas of concern.
- To strive for excellence by continually seeking ways to improve individual and team effectiveness and to enhance the performance of the department.
- To encourage better management practices by consistency in policy and procedure interpretation and providing assistance for developing a progressive approach to management.
- To motivate departments by providing useful information to increase awareness and maintain a safe working environment by encouraging safe work habits.
- To initiate and develop loyalty to the organization that is reflected in our inner pride and seen through performance.
- To provide protection for liability losses to the public and for other losses to the City’s financial assets, property, and personnel.
Our Standards for Achievement:
- As a team we recognize that the manner in which we pursue our mission is as important as the achievement of the mission itself.
- We also acknowledge that our ability to achieve our mission is directly linked to the manner in which we support our fellow team members.