It is our mission to provide effective, quality legal services to protect the interests of the City of Baytown, the Baytown Area Water Authority, the Baytown Crime Control and Prevention District, the Baytown Fire Control, Prevention and Emergency Medical Services District, and the Baytown Municipal Development District and to help such entities accomplish their goals.
The Legal Department is a service-oriented department providing legal counsel to:
- The City of Baytown
- Baytown Area Water Authority (“BAWA”)
- Baytown Municipal Development District (“MDD”)
- Baytown Crime Control and Prevention District (“CCPD”)
- Baytown Fire Control, Prevention and Emergency Medical Services District (“FCPEMSD”)
- City Manager
- Department Directors
- Various boards and Commissions of the City.
It is not the purpose of the Legal Department to provide legal advice to private citizens.
The Legal Department:
- Represents or manages the representation of the City, BAWA, CCPD, FCPEMSD, and MDD in litigation and adversary proceedings;
- Processes claims filed against the City, BAWA, CCPD, FCPEMSD, and MDD;
- Is the legal advisor to the City Council, BAWA, CCPD, FCPEMSD, MDD, City Manager and staff, and official boards and commissions;
- Serves as Prosecutor for all municipal court cases, including those involving offenses under the Texas Penal Code, the Texas Transportation Code, and the City’s Code of Ordinances;
- Provides oral and written opinions to the City Council, BAWA, MDD, CCPD, FCPEMSD, City Manager and staff; and
- Drafts legal instruments such as ordinances, resolutions, contracts, and deeds.